Do I have to tell the DVLA if I have IIH?

All about transport, travel and driving. This is a READ ONLY section of the site. If you have any useful links you think should be in this section, contact us and let us know.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is provided as a resource for information regarding many aspects of illness, disability, and health issues, as well as advice services, benefits information, and other aspects of life that having IIH and disability can impact upon.

Many of the links and organisations listed in this section of the forum refer to "disability". Not everyone who has IIH will be classified as disabled - under the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) a disabled person is defined as "someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities". Equally, some people who do meet the DDA's definition of disability may not be comfortable with being described as disabled. We use the word "disability" here, except where the word disability has a specific meaning, such as in relation to the DDA, as a shorthand for "disabilities and long term health conditions" - it's a lot quicker to type 'disability' or 'disablities' rather than "disabilities and long term health conditions" every time!

This section of the forum is READ ONLY, i.e. you can't reply to the posted topics. If have any comments on any of the posted links in this section, please use the appropriate area of the "discussion" area of the forums.

For some areas where there are a lot of different links, we've set up a "child board" to collect all of the resources on that subject together.

Know of a site or resource you think other forum members ought to know about? Let one of the Administrators or Moderators know - Celestia, Michelle, Didles, Emma.x, Katie30, or Missy - and we'll check the site out and decide if it's suitable to be included on this board.

As stated in our Terms of Service, which you'll find a link for at the very bottom of each page of the forum, we aren't responsible for the content of other sites, and our inclusion of hyperlinks to such websites does not imply any endorsement of views, statements or information contained in such websites.

As the majority of our members are from the UK, most of the information in this section is UK based, and about UK welfare benefits, advice services etc. We recognise though that we do get visitors here and indeed have members from all over the world. If you're not UK based, and you have links specific to your own country that you think would benefit others, please do let us know and we're happy to post links for other countries if you feel they would help others. Please do let us know if you have any links you'd like to share by contacting one of our Administrators or Moderators.

We do try and periodically check the links to make sure they're still pointing at the right place, that sites haven't moved, or disappeared, but if you find any dead links, please do let one of the Administrators or Moderators know by posting in the "Feedback, Comments, and Technical Queries" board so that we can updated the post where necessary.
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:04 am

Do I have to tell the DVLA if I have IIH?

Post by iih » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Though IIH isn't one of the disorders you have to tell the DVLA about, some of the symptoms of IIH can cause problems driving and may need to be reported to the DVLA. This website gives guidance on some types of symptoms which may be relevant to people with IIH: loss of consciousness and loss of awareness, and giddiness (dizziness). The visual defects section of the guide explains the visual requirements, i.e. that visual acuity is sufficient to meet the legal eyesight requirement, that the standard for meeting the visual field requirements are met, and that there is no diplopia (double vision). For diplopia, driving must be ceased on diagnosis, but may be resumed if the DVLA is satisfied that it's controlled by glasses or by a patch.

Some neurosurgical procedures require time off driving, such as the insertion or revision of an intraventricular (ventriculo-peritoneal shunt - VP) shunt, or extravenricular drain (no time off driving is required after the insertion or revision of a lumbar peritoneal shunt), and ICP monitoring (a decision is made on the basis of the risk from the underlying medical condition necessitating the ICP) are specifically mentioned in the guidance.

If you're concerned about your fitness to drive, speak to your doctor, neurologist/neurosurgeon, or ophthalmologist. In some cases your doctor may raise the issue, i.e. if your vision in their opinion doesn't meet the requirements for driving, and usually if you're having VP shunt surgery this is something your neurosurgeon will warn you about, but it's your responsibility to notify the DVLA.

You should also notify your insurers of any medical condition that may affect your ability to drive, as not doing so may invalidate your insurance.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest