Page 1 of 1

Adaptations to your home (council and housing association tenants)

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm
by iih
If you need improvements and adaptations to your home to help you continue to live independently there, such as providing ramps, door widening, stair lifts and level access showers, you can ask the social services department of your local council to do an assessment of your home.

Council/Housing Association tenants

If you're a council tenant, as your landlord, has the responsibility to make reasonable adjustments to your home to enable you to live independently there according to your assessed needs. Adapting your home might include putting in a stairlift, changing your bath to a shower, widening your doors for a wheelchair access, ramping the access to your property, or changing your central heating system. Adaptations inside your home might include things like * grab rails in the bathroom/toilet, * grab rails to your door, putting in additional rail on the stairs, or * level taps.

Usually requests for adaptations are made to local councils through Social Services following an assessment of your needs by an occupational therapist. Procedures differ for all councils though, so in the first instance contact your council, or your Housing Officer, if you know who that is, to find out what you need to do.

If your home is assessed as requiring adaptations your council/housing association will make arrangements for the work to be completed. Often though funding for adaptations is limited, and it may not be possible to make the adaptations straight away, though naturally the most urgent cases are dealt with first.

If it's not possible to adapt your current home to meet your needs, you may need to move to a more suitable property, but your council or housing association will help you in finding a more suitable property from their available properties.