Adaptations to your home (council and housing association tenants)

Information regarding housing, adaptations to your home, Council Tax benefit etc. This is a READ ONLY section of the site. If you have any useful links you think should be in this section, contact us and let us know.

Moderators: Moderators, Trustees

Forum rules
This section of the forum is provided as a resource for information regarding many aspects of illness, disability, and health issues, as well as advice services, benefits information, and other aspects of life that having IIH and disability can impact upon.

Many of the links and organisations listed in this section of the forum refer to "disability". Not everyone who has IIH will be classified as disabled - under the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) a disabled person is defined as "someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities". Equally, some people who do meet the DDA's definition of disability may not be comfortable with being described as disabled. We use the word "disability" here, except where the word disability has a specific meaning, such as in relation to the DDA, as a shorthand for "disabilities and long term health conditions" - it's a lot quicker to type 'disability' or 'disablities' rather than "disabilities and long term health conditions" every time!

This section of the forum is READ ONLY, i.e. you can't reply to the posted topics. If have any comments on any of the posted links in this section, please use the appropriate area of the "discussion" area of the forums.

For some areas where there are a lot of different links, we've set up a "child board" to collect all of the resources on that subject together.

Know of a site or resource you think other forum members ought to know about? Let one of the Administrators or Moderators know - Celestia, Michelle, Didles, Emma.x, Katie30, or Missy - and we'll check the site out and decide if it's suitable to be included on this board.

As stated in our Terms of Service, which you'll find a link for at the very bottom of each page of the forum, we aren't responsible for the content of other sites, and our inclusion of hyperlinks to such websites does not imply any endorsement of views, statements or information contained in such websites.

As the majority of our members are from the UK, most of the information in this section is UK based, and about UK welfare benefits, advice services etc. We recognise though that we do get visitors here and indeed have members from all over the world. If you're not UK based, and you have links specific to your own country that you think would benefit others, please do let us know and we're happy to post links for other countries if you feel they would help others. Please do let us know if you have any links you'd like to share by contacting one of our Administrators or Moderators.

We do try and periodically check the links to make sure they're still pointing at the right place, that sites haven't moved, or disappeared, but if you find any dead links, please do let one of the Administrators or Moderators know by posting in the "Feedback, Comments, and Technical Queries" board so that we can updated the post where necessary.
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:04 am

Adaptations to your home (council and housing association tenants)

Post by iih » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm

If you need improvements and adaptations to your home to help you continue to live independently there, such as providing ramps, door widening, stair lifts and level access showers, you can ask the social services department of your local council to do an assessment of your home.

Council/Housing Association tenants

If you're a council tenant, as your landlord, has the responsibility to make reasonable adjustments to your home to enable you to live independently there according to your assessed needs. Adapting your home might include putting in a stairlift, changing your bath to a shower, widening your doors for a wheelchair access, ramping the access to your property, or changing your central heating system. Adaptations inside your home might include things like * grab rails in the bathroom/toilet, * grab rails to your door, putting in additional rail on the stairs, or * level taps.

Usually requests for adaptations are made to local councils through Social Services following an assessment of your needs by an occupational therapist. Procedures differ for all councils though, so in the first instance contact your council, or your Housing Officer, if you know who that is, to find out what you need to do.

If your home is assessed as requiring adaptations your council/housing association will make arrangements for the work to be completed. Often though funding for adaptations is limited, and it may not be possible to make the adaptations straight away, though naturally the most urgent cases are dealt with first.

If it's not possible to adapt your current home to meet your needs, you may need to move to a more suitable property, but your council or housing association will help you in finding a more suitable property from their available properties.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest