The Diet and Exercise board is intended as the board for posting questions and discussions regarding diet and exercise in relation to IIH. There is also a 'child board' for the sharing of healthy recipes and diet tips.
Here are the posting guidelines for the Diet and Exercise board (which also apply to the child boards within it):
- please don't post general IIH related questions in this board - general questions about IIH should go on the relevant board in the "Discussions section of the site, i.e. 'Medical Treatments', 'Surgical Treatments', 'General IIH Questions & Answers' etc.
- please remember that we're not doctors, and shouldn't be giving medical advice - please see the relevant sections in the forum's rules about medical advice and prescription medication. Sharing your experiences of what's worked for you and your IIH is fine, but you shouldn't be telling other members things like, "If you take X, Y and Z it will improve your symptoms" - there's more guidance on this in the forum rules.
- doctors are highly trained and experts in what they do, and they prescribe based on your individual circumstances, symptoms, and medical history, and it is not our place to question the treatments that doctors prescribe. Discussions regarding the "best" treatments are not permitted in this board, and members should also be aware that just because a particular treatment has worked for someone else, it may not work for you, or indeed be suitable for you, and we do not encourage members to approach their doctors regarding their treatments based on what they have read on the forum
- while the exact causes of IIH are currently unknown, it is recognised that statistically the majority of IIH sufferers are, or have been overweight. We all know though that IIH affects many different people of many different body shapes. It is also a medical fact however that being overweight is not good for your general health for many reasons, and there is some evidence suggesting that for some people losing weight can improve some IIH symptoms. In view of this, questioning whether a doctor's advice to lose weight is correct is not helpful, and is not encouraged on this board.
- Please do not slander or defame the medical community. We've all come across doctors/information that is out-of-date or that we've had bad experiences with, but doctors are qualified professionals, and they do their best to do what's right for us. To make any kind of progress in finding answers about this condition we need to work with the medical profession, and not against them. Blaming doctors for not having all the answers is not fair, and is not something that will be tolerated in the community. Equally blaming doctors for not knowing all there is to know about IIH isn't fair either. IIH is a rare condition and many doctors may not have come across it before in their professional life. While we have rights as patients, we also have responsibilities too, and one of those is not to undermine the very people who are trying to help us, and take responsibility for our own health and welfare.
- please start a new thread for each of your questions, which will help other members who are searching for information on a specific subject and allow others to comment on your questions. If you're commenting on another member's post, please don't add in another question of your own to the discussion - start another thread for it.
- Last post
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum