Author Topic: Does Period Increase Symptoms  (Read 23557 times)

Offline rubiesmum

• Neuron
Re: peroids and ih
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 08:35:16 PM »
oh i wish they would listen to me and take notice i need an lp now but they wont give me one as my consaultant hasnt give the go ahead but hes on leave not bk till tomorrow had to be in pain and being sick but then was told back pain neck pain leg pain being sick is not ih symptons grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr of having high pressure so i sed ok then how come these things go as soon as u do a lumbar puncher then im new here ive had to join groups on fb and run my own group on there i found this place last night

Offline Yorklass74

• Ganglion
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 10:09:25 PM »
My IIH is definitely worse the week before my period is due and last month was bad when i was on too so getting 2 bad 2 ok weeks a month at moment  :down

I mentioned this to my neuro-opthalmologist before and he said yes it is more than likely related due to hormones.  I dont think they know for sure but i certainly believe it is connected

Offline rubiesmum

• Neuron
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »
i really hope i can get sombody to listen to me

Offline tinytawny7

• Dendrite
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
There is definitely a link.  I only have high pressure at time of ovulation, menstruation and the occassional head cold.

My doctors wanted to stop my medication since my pap is gone and my last LP in June had been 19.. despite the fact that I complain to my neuro every month at time of menstruation.  Well, I told them before we take me off my meds let me get another LP on December 19th, which would be the day before my period would start... I said I knew for a fact my pressure would be high on that day.

Low and behold, opening pressure was 36.. so I was put on more meds and that's it.  No admittal to my theory that my period and hormones obviously play a huge part in my condition.  I started having IH symptoms the month after I stopped taking birth control pills.. wouldn't they be willing to try them again to see if that helps regulate my hormones??  Nope!!  Because the literature says birth control pills can cause the problem, so she won't budge. 

I COMPLETELY understand your frustration!!!  I wish more research could be done.. some neuro's understand that hormones play a part.. now we need to know how!!

Offline rubiesmum

• Neuron
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i have got a nuro to listen hes agreed theres a link watch this space girls i wont stop now we could be taking the nasty diamox and topamax for no reason and having brain ops for no reason im seeing him next monday as he wont agree to an lp till he sees me

crazyhead

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
i also have pressure headaches when im not due on or on so im not taking the diamox for no reason. Ther is s like like there is with migraines etc which occur more for some when hormones change. But hormones arent the only reason people have iih. For instance what about men and the young children, so its not a full blown conclusion

Offline rubiesmum

• Neuron
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
thats what my nuro wants to look into men do have hormones and so do children thats what he sed today as i sed what about young kids and men

Offline tinytawny7

• Dendrite
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
I agree that there are a ton of different factors that cause IH.  I have been tested for lupus (since my ANA turned up highly positive), but I have all negative tests and no other symptoms, so they are thinking I'm idiopathic.  I have expressed how I have always had issues with periods (started young at age 10 and have always been laid up with pain and illness from it), and then once I stopped the birth control pills IH symptoms started (along with the usual menstrual problems I would get before I started on the pill).  The pill was a godsend for me, but I couldn't get accepted for insurance and had to stop the pill because of the costs (US is terrible with health insurance).  I want my doctors to at least try something to "regulate" my hormones and see what happens, even just for a month.  If I have a horrendous pressure spike then we will know, I will drop the issue and move on to a different plan of action.  If a patient is willing to try, couldn't they atleast think about it instead of shutting down the idea before I am done talking?

This has been a huge battle for me the last few months.. thanks rubiesmum for bringing up the issue!!  I definitely want to know what your neuro says after your appt!!!  Good luck!

Offline rubiesmum

• Neuron
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 10:59:46 PM »
will keep u updated hun

Missy

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
I hope he can help you, my pressure gets higher with the hormone change of a period but i don't have them any more and still have high pressure and high pressure in between periods so it wouldn't mean no more meds or surgery for me. Although yes men and children have hormones they don't as a norm have a regular hormone imbalance like women do with periods. So i do believe it raises pressure i don't think it is cause as much as it is a side effect/symptom unless you literally only get all your IH symptoms around the week of your period and never any other time. Great you have found a Neuro who agrees mine do too but don't get your hopes up that it will be a cure. maybe try some contraception that stops periods (for some) and see how you are. Do you not have high pressure or any symptoms between periods?

Offline tinytawny7

• Dendrite
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
For me, my LP readings have been within normal range when I am not ovulating or on my period.  But is between 31-55 during those two times of the month.  I just had a cold and my period at the same time, so I am unsure if I would get the high pressure just from a cold..

For me, it's strictly during hormonal weeks.  My ear noise is even gone or minimal, and then it is unbearable during female times.  I know it can just be a symptom or coincidence with this condition.. but if that is the ONLY time I have high pressure than I really start to wonder!  I have been monitoring it for 1.5 years and it never fails.. I can tell you the exact dates I will have problems with high pressure!!!  I even proved that to my neuro with a scheduled LP in December, but she doesn't care to look into it further and instead added lasix (was already on diamox).  Joy!

Missy

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »
Given what you have said you have proof that you only have high pressure when ovulating or on a period so if your neuro won't acknowledge that ask your gp to refer you to another one. It may also be worth trying one of the contraceptions that stop periods for some people then if you don't get hight pressure for say 3 months you pretty much have definitive proof and have solved the problem yourself. You can ask your GP to try Mirena coil, Depo injection or implant. It would be great if they work for you and really hope something does x

crazyhead

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
yer i know men and children also have hormones as do all living things but what i meant is that the ups and downs of them. Its really great that you only have problems near you period. It will make life so much easier for you as they can regulate your hormones so you dont get this peak and then troughs. Id be questioning the diagnosis of iih also as if they know its just when your hormones are haywire then its sih not iih as its got a known cause and can be managed better. So excited for you, yay, :yay no more headaches or paps or lp. You must be so relieved that they can help you properly now.  keep us informed hun.

Offline TRINITY1

• FLUID
  • Cerebellum
Re: Does Period Increase Symptoms
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
I have merged this topic with others concerning periods and high pressure. I am sure that if you put in the search bar 'periods' you will find even more posts pertaining to the topic.

Offline Yorklass74

• Ganglion
Re: Does Period Increase Symptoms
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 06:15:58 PM »
my symptoms are worse before my period and recently when on my period but i also still have symptoms all month long they are just worse and even more painful at this time of the month