Author Topic: Does Period Increase Symptoms  (Read 23754 times)

Offline Adele

• Axon
Does Period Increase Symptoms
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
I have been on diamox for about 7 weeks now and had no typical IIH symptoms during this time; although it sounds from reading other people's posts that I was suffering typical side effects of Diamox.  The day before I started my period last week , I started to get IIH symptoms back again .... headache ... fatigue ... backache ... funny vision .... etc.  :bang I used to suffer with migraines in line with my menstrual cycle during my twenties but have had no migraines for about 8 years.  Has anyone else experienced symptoms returning during their period?  I know logically, I should wait and see if this happens again before assuming any pattern, but would be good to have feedback.

Thanks

Offline x Shelly x

• Trustee Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cerebral Cortex
Re: Does Period Increase Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »
Hi Adele,

If you use the search facility you will find lots of people suffer more IIH symptoms at their time of the month..  :coolup
Today is the tomorrow you were thinking about yesterday... 

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline sabrinamarie

• Nuclei
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »
 :cheerful Hi Adele.  I know for me my periods affect my symptoms. When I first had IIH 3 years ago I was diagnosed when I was on my period and my symptoms came on stronger at the same time each month after that for 4 months and I was in a&e each time having lp`s.  Now I have been re-diagnosed and had lp 2 weeks ago and I am due to come on my period next week and I am dreading it lol. Hopefully if it makes my symptoms worse I can just hang on until ive come off periods then hopefully the symptoms will die down again. eek lol. I also have to added hassle of having endometriosis though which makes my periods really bad though.  :eek

sabrina
eeeekk its come back

Offline leh

• Dendrite
  • it's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:15:42 AM »
I get worsening IIH symptoms without fail every single period.

Offline gypsy

• Neuron
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:20:35 AM »
I logged on to ask the same question, but it's already been asked!  :wiggle
I had a similar experience the month before last. Sometimes my PMS symptoms don't resolve after a period so they run until I get my next one (I've got a good sense of this as my diabetes goes nuts!). During a recent stint of 6 weeks, my IIH symptoms came back with a vengeance. Then it all suddenly disappeared after my "visitors arrived"...it just seemed too coincidental.

Offline Little Miss

• Plexus
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:24:21 AM »
 :wave Adele,
I have noticed that my IIH headache gets worse even though on medication when its the time of the month. I feel more tired than usual and feel sick. I too suffer with migraines and they were triggered by monthlies and stress. Since having IIH I am finding that instead of migraines I now am getting the raised pressure symptoms. Not sure if this is coincidence and I can only give my own experience but I am finding, for me a link to my hormones. Don't know if my neuro consult would agree  :nono

I must say though, I have been having  problems with monthlies before I got diagnosed (about 6 months prier) and the results of the blood test to check hormone levels are slightly higher (not sure which hormone though). I'm going back to have another one one to confirm.
Hope you found some answers.  :smile

Katrina x

Offline max

• Neuron
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:23:53 PM »
hi there to all
                      Yes i been on diamox for 11 years and about a week before my menstrual cycle the very VERY bad headache come and go on until the cycle stop.Has my cycle now goe's on for 10 days and the week before hand the pain is all together 17 day of pure nightmare,Bed is the best places :duh
I wish i can say it will get better BUT my has not , you may be luck :grouphugs
           max

Offline soph

• Axon
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
Hiya all,
yep always worse at week before period even though neuro I'm with now says 'oh well yes there's always been a migrainous (sp?) touch to your headaches'. Hmm basically that week all the symptoms are worse I can feel the pressure raise, I get sick 2 days before and soooo tired as well as the headaches. It's def related.
My headaches are a manageable level although still everyday but increase a lot that week.
We know our bodies better than any doc really though so we are more able to make the links!
X
oph :0)

Offline stomkins

• Axon
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Without fail, every period my head wants to exlode! Oh the joy! I also found that in the week running up to my period my headaches got really bad too, my doc put me on norhisterone on day 21-28 of my cycle, it reduces the effects of the drop in hormones just before your period. Hope that helps. Sarah x

Offline Donna Baker

• Dendrite
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 09:21:39 AM »
IIH and period time is BAD!! I suffer every month or well i did till i had the implanon put in!!! XXX
Every day is a struggle, but I still have to battle on as I won't let this beat me

Offline Lyxmorsan

• Neuron
  • Västkusten
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:07:35 PM »
Well, just entered the forum to see if anyone else have more probs that time at the month. And, well, HELLO to you all, here I am, joining the club...
Got a new appointment w/ neurologist tomorrow and will discuss if I can try Decapeptyl injections. I had them many years because of my severe endometriosis but had to stop because of my skeletton getting weak. I didn't have IH when I was on Decapeptyl so I don't know IF it will work though. But it seems worth a try. Decapeptyl is similar to Prostap.

Are there anymore of ypu who have tried?
Anyway, the last days where really painfull because of my upcoming period. IH AND endometriosis, seems like my entire body is aching :(
...it could be worse...

Offline Kerry

• Ganglion
Re: Periods - advice please
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
I am convinced that IIH has a lot to do with hormones.

I have always suffered with an absolutely blinding headache the day before I get my period.  One of my GP's told me that this was due to the surge of oestrogen for my period so have never really given it much thought - its always been a good indicator as to when I was getting my period so came in useful sometimes!!!

I am not sure whether this headache is different from ym high pressure IIH headaches or not really so cant offer much advice on that front, sorry!  The only thing I will say is that none of my headaches seem to be made better by laying down or standing up - they are just there.

xx

Offline mel31

• Ganglion
Re: Periods - advice please
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
Hi,

Just wanted to say that IIH has had no affect on my periods at all.

But, I'm convinced that my sister also has IIH and she has finally managed to convince her GP to refer her for an LP. Her headaches are alot worse than mine, and I know hers get even worse just before, and during her period. She also regularly passes out around the time of her periods too.

Mel x

Offline rubiesmum

• Neuron
peroids and ih
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
hi im doing abit of research could anybody else tell me if they have problems each month with high pressure when there due on a peroid please i have this problem every month and ive never had a lp without being on my period my nuro thinks im bonkers but i really think there is a link here and nobody will listen to me

Offline l4ura

• Dendrite
Re: peroids and ih
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:47:27 PM »
hi there

i have to say i totally agree with you on this, for me there is definately a link.  my pressures rises about a day before i get my period and then gradually and i mean gradually returns to a more comfortable point around the day/days after i finish.

hth xx