Author Topic: Stent Operation  (Read 17926 times)

Offline Celestia

• Retired Administrator
  • Cerebral Cortex
  • If you can't fix it, you've gotta stand it...
    • http://www.ecanus.net
Re: Stent Operation
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
I'm due to get a stent done next week.

Does anyone know if its painful, how long recovery might take?

There's been a few discussions about stents over the past couple of weeks - try using the forum search box up on the right and you should get the previous discussions up - I think someone asked a similar question last week.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Titch

• Cerebellum
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »
 :wave

Hello Yup That was me :cool2

Im searching like made. It keeps bringing up all the words that have the letters in like Constent. You have no Idea how much that word gets used on hear :roflmao

Ok no more chat on with the search :cool2
:star

Offline Nolenas

• Axon
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 08:10:54 AM »

To qualify for this op, your neuro will have to confirm if it is narrowed veins that are causing IIH.
Emma.

I'm new here, so pardon me if this is a silly question, but if it's documented that narrow veins are causing IIH, then would it technically BE "IIH," since the "idiopathic" means "unknown cause?"  Would this condition be classified as Secondary Intracranial Hypertension?

Just curious.

Offline x Shelly x

• Trustee Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cerebral Cortex
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
No question is a silly question.  You're right, if a cause is found for a persons IH then it is not Idiopathic but secondary..  :coolup
Today is the tomorrow you were thinking about yesterday... 

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline Nolenas

• Axon
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 09:07:01 AM »
No question is a silly question.  You're right, if a cause is found for a persons IH then it is not Idiopathic but secondary..  :coolup

I remember early on exclaiming to my doctor, "I wish I knew what was causing this...I wish I had secondary IH!"

He looked at me, sighed, and said, "No you don't...the causes I know of aren't good..."

So I'm idiopathic and thankful.

Offline chickybabe

• Dendrite
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 04:10:58 AM »
I have narrowing of some veins but neuro-radiologist seems to think it was caused by the IIH as it had developed over a year after I became sick with IIH and first MRI was clear of any problems. So I guess that means it is possible it is a complication of uncontrolled high pressure also  :?

Offline x Shelly x

• Trustee Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cerebral Cortex
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »
mmmm interesting, never given that possiblility a thought until now..
Today is the tomorrow you were thinking about yesterday... 

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline chickybabe

• Dendrite
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 03:07:10 AM »
 :? I really don't know lol will find out tomorrow though, being admitted tomorrow, and hopefully have stent fitted the next morning so will be offline for a few days, but I will come back and give an update if he can tell me anything about it.

Offline chickybabe

• Dendrite
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 10:55:21 PM »
Hey all, I'm Back!! Had my stent fitted one week ago. I still have a mild headache, but surgeons think this may be from the stent itself as I no longer have any tinnitus  :woot the pressure on my optic nerves is also settling down and I have recovered a bit more of vision just in the last week, so fingers crossed it keeps getting better.  :woohoo
I did ask if they could explain if it was the cause or a complication of IIH, and unfortunately they really don't know. All they do know is that most patients that have the narrowing of the transverse sinuses have good results with the stents, its very controversial as to weather it is cause or effect. However, it has not been studied very thoroughly as to how long they help for or what further complications patients could face in the future. So it is a gamble as far as a permanent solution but for me i was happy to try it out if there was a possiblilty of success. And so far so good.
But of course there are always complications from any procedure, and I did develope a small blood clot in my left calf two days post op. So along with the life long aspirin and the 6 months of plavix I am now on a short course of self injected clexane to help dissolve the clot. All things considered, I still believe it was the right decision to go ahead with the stent.
I will be reviewed regularly, and it is likely I will require the left sinus to be stented also. If there is significant improvement in the pressure control then they will go ahead with further stenting, if not it will leave me with the possibility of a shunt.   :tongue I'm not that keen on that option but will deal with that if and when we have to. Until then, I'm just greatful to be feeling almost human again  :roflmao

Offline Toni

• Thalamus
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
Hi

Its good to hear you are noticing some improvements. I hope it keeps up  :yay

How are you finding the clexane injections? How long are you on them for? I was on them when I developed a clot when i was pregnant and I then had to be on it for 6 months after my son was born.  I remember feeling scared at the thought of giving myself injections, but I soon realised that there was nothing to it.  Its just the thought of it which you don't like.

I hope you get back on track soon.  Take care. :hug

Toni
Without fear and illness, I could never have accomplished all I have.

Offline Karen12

• Hypothalamus
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
Hi,

Glad to hear your Operation went well and I hope you continue to see improvements!

Karen

Offline chickybabe

• Dendrite
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 04:44:04 AM »
Things are still looking good so far  :coolup Clexane really isn't that bad, will be on it for 3 months I think. Once you get over the initial nerves of self injecting its fine  :lol Just not enjoying the brusing that goes along with so many blood thinners  :shockedblue black and blue all over, never realized how clumsy I was until every little bump leaves a a huge bruise  :eek

Offline yanna

• Neuron
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »
Jo, I too am having a venogram under Mr Higgins at Addenbrookes, although I haven't got my date for it yet.
Let me know how your one goes.

same Emma, I too am having stents done by Higgens and also haven't yet got a date. To be honest i'm pretty terrified x Yanna

Offline Hilary

• Neuron
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
I just had a stent put in on Wednesday. One night stay in hospital and then home.