Author Topic: How long until the effects of the LP go away?  (Read 836 times)

Offline Amy-91

• Neuron
How long until the effects of the LP go away?
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:32:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

I had an LP yesterday - quick and easy, no pain, and I lay flat for 30 minutes afterwards.

Today I woke up with the worst headache I've ever had, far worse than my original IIH headaches, and I've been conked out on my back for most of the day. I've got whooshing in the ears, tingling toes, nausea and painful pressure at the base of the skull. What I'm trying to find out is - when will these symptoms go away? 2 days, 3 days? I hate having time off work and I want to get back to "normal" as quickly as possible.

Offline andreamay

• Global Moderator
  • Plexus
Re: How long until the effects of the LP go away?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »
A post lp headache is likely a low pressure headache and they are the worse in my opinion. You can ease it by laying completely flat with a pillow under your hips, limit stretching and bending to give the hole a chance to heal. I avoid caffeine as it can raise pressure too quickly. But if you are desperate you can maybe have a little bit. Otherwise good pain killers and hopefully it will ease for you. In general I've been at least a week recovering but it does depending on how much csf was taken off and your pressure initially. If it doesn't settle for you within that time or if you get worse, nausea, vomiting , not being able to be upright then contact your neuro for advice , hope it settles take care  :grouphugs Andrea
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.