Author Topic: Abdominal pain  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Floss

• Axon
Abdominal pain
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »
Hey.
I've had my vp shunt for 3 years. It's now tied off as of 6 months ago  as no longer needed also discharged from neurology. However, I have have been experiencing very sore, stabbing, burning like pain in my abdominal area, when pressed it makes it worse .  I have had an ultra sound which showed some free flowing fluid around the tip of my shunt when my bladder was full. When my bladder was empty they had no visual of the shunt on the ultrasound because everything had moved so could not see this fluid. They sent me on my way as they just wanted to check my appendix was OK. My blood tests are fine. My migraines are controlled on tablets. I have made a suggestion to the gp that could it be the shunt tube irritating or being to long and she said she doesn't think so?  I don't know what else I can do I'm out of answers?  Has anyone experienced this with a shunt?  It's so uncomfortable.  any ideas welcomed!!!! Thanku x

Offline andreamay

• Global Moderator
  • Plexus
Re: Abdominal pain
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »
Hi there, so sorry you are having a rough time,  as your shunt has been tied off its really only something your neuro can answer.  I'm on my 3rd shunt in 2 years and the first 2 were lumbopleural,  I had fluid build up on my lung that wasn't necessarily visible by x ray and it was only when I complained and had it converted to peritoneal that my surgeon said that a lot of fluid came out. If your body isn't reabsorbin it and it's causing you discomfort then it would be wise to go back to your neuro.  I do get stabbing pains from the tubing too but it does settle if I move around a bit. Xxx
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.