Author Topic: Pregnancy really hard  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Sarah693

• Neuron
Pregnancy really hard
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:40:05 PM »
I'm new on here, I'm 23 years old and to cut a long story short was only diagnosed 3 months ago after agonising headaches for days on end and after spending 4 days in hospital. Well I have recently come of diamox and an now taking topiramate 100mg a day. Beginning of November I found out I am pregnant and after a lot of consideration me and my partner decided on a termination which I have always been against but feel as it's the best decision as its been a really hard year and have also been taking antidepressants which I'm also not proud of. Since I found out about the pregnancy I have been in so much pain with my head, the pain is horrible where I feel as tho I can't get out of bed. I feel like I've been neglecting my 5 year old daughter and Christmas has been out of the question. Marie stopes has cancelled my surgical procedure twice which they said I had to have because of the topirimate, I was booked in yesterday and cancelled again, they said because I recently had raised pressure I have to have it done in a hospital, anyway I am just wondering if anyone has had previous experience and will things get better once I've had the termination, I think I'm sure I have raised pressure again but my doctor doesn't know anything about iih and I'm not under a neuro at the minute so no one to talk to :(

Offline dabirg

• Moderator Group
  • Plexus
Re: Pregnancy really hard
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Hi Sarah - feel for you with everything you are going through.  I am here for my my daughter who has IIH.

Have you lookedat the main iih uk site - there is lots of useful info there - here there is also a lot of personal info and advice which is very easy to search.

No one is medically qualified here so any advice is our personal opinion based on experience but you shoudl always speak to a dr.

my tips are usually:

prop yourself up in bed at night - extra pillows, something shoved under the mattress or the bed legs at the head end safely raised - when you lie down this increases pressure and is why your headaches may be worse in the morning.

caffiene - is associated with raising pressure so it is worth cutting back on caffiene in hot and fizzy drinks.

have you had your eyes checked ?  going to an optician and getting then to check and take pictures of the back of your eyes.

You do need to get refered to a neuro - can your gp arrange this.

Try to feel better that you are addressing your problems and taking the anti-depressants is a good thing and a step in the right direction.  Also the termination - you are bound to struggle with this but you must be kind to yourself for your families sake - your little 5 year old needs  and loves you too.

Be kind to yourself you deserve it.

Sorry I cant help more with your specific circumstances.

Offline Sarah693

• Neuron
Re: Pregnancy really hard
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »
Thankyou for reply, the only time my head doesn't hurt is when I'm sleeping. The pain was getting better when I was on 1 topirimate then I found out I was pregnant and has increasingly got worse from there now I am on 4 a day and am still in pain. I haven't had my eyes checked becaus I don't want to worry myself just before Christmas x