Author Topic: Stomach pain with VP SHUNT (& LP Shunts too)  (Read 2906 times)

Offline SeattleRain

• Axon
Stomach pain with VP SHUNT (& LP Shunts too)
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:07:26 AM »
Hello everyone! I got a VP shunt last year. I'm having pain in my peritoneal cavity from the CSF. Has anyone had this sort of side effect?  It seems like my shunt drains, then I have cramping or sharp pains or tingling- Icey- Hot feeling. I've seen my doctors and had ultrasound. I have no other symptoms. No infection or shunt malfunction.
 So, anyone find CSF to be irritating their peritoneal cavity? Much love to everyone.

Offline Sandra D

• Cerebral Cortex
Re: Stomach pain with VP SHUNT (& LP Shunts too)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:48:33 PM »
Hi

I remember speaking to a neurosurgeon at a conference who told me that he had one patient who suffered so much with pain and irritation from the CSF that the patient asked for her shunt to be removed (and it was!!) I know that some people do seem to suffer more than others. X
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline SeattleRain

• Axon
Re: Stomach pain with VP SHUNT (& LP Shunts too)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:25:50 AM »
Thank you Butterfly. I have this aggravating symptom but I can't get my neurosurgeon to agree that CSF can irritate the peritoneal cavity! Seattle is crawling with neurosurgeons and neurologists... So I wont quit until it's a recognized that I have this pain.  :nfi:
 ALSO, I was on peritoneal dialysis B4 my kidney transplant... Maybe I'm more sensitive.  :?
It hurts. But I found an older thread on here about abdominal pains with shunts. Reading it made me feel I was not alone. Doctors like to brush off a lot things people say and it's so WRONG.
ITS  :censored on.
Xo everyone