Author Topic: Programmable LP Shunt?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline amritap

• Neuron
Programmable LP Shunt?
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »
Hi All,

Some IIH forums talk about programmable LP shunt. Is there actually any?? My doctor is saying there is no programmable LP Shunt available anywhere in the world. Is there anyone in the forum who used a programmable LP shunt?

Regards,

Amrita

Offline markt

• Axon
Re: Programmable LP Shunt?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
Dear Amrita

I had a medtronic strata progammable LP shunt in not so long ago, it lasted 12 month's but the settings are limited to 5 variables. Unfortunaly it didn't suit me as the setting at 1.5 made me overdrain and suffer low pressure, and the setting of 2 was to much which inturn gave me high pressure. My surgeon inserted a ProGav valve in November just gone but this is giving me alot of grief and he suspects this is overdraing also. I'm on the waiting list for an ICP pressure test. Depending on the results he may end up taking the LP shunt out and insert a VP shunt instead. Their are valves out there which are suitable for LP shunting its just about looking, researching and probably cost.

Regards

Mark

Offline SeattleRain

• Axon
Re: Programmable LP Shunt?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
I got a vp strata last year. It's healed me so much. It is programmed. I've not had a low pressure headache since a leaky LP. I got a blood patch for that one! Ouch!

Amrita, your doctor is misinformed. I have one. I've had it for 13 months. They can program it with a magnet ( I'm told) there's still minor side effects. Sometimes it's sore, and sometimes the CSF stings. I wish you the best in your treatment.

Mark, dude I hope your feeling better. I'm sorry you had troubles, I hope your headaches are better. Did you get a vp?

I wish you all well. Xx