Author Topic: effects  (Read 2070 times)

Offline steff1984

• Axon
effects
« on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:49 PM »
hi
i am just wondering what effect that CF has on the brain and the pressure long term as in old age. i was told that the CF is acidic and it damages your optic nerves what other effect long term period?
i know may seem like a daft question these are question i have for neuro as i studyscience i have a basic knowledge of human biology i have more greater understanding of plant and chemistry? just curosity

thank you

Offline Keren

• Ganglion
Re: effects
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:46:47 AM »
Hi Steff,

I am an engineer and a physicist and i like to ask questions too, thats how you learn. so i never worry about asking questions if i dont know something.
I am not a doctor.

But are you asking about whether Cerebro spinal fluid is acidic and this has an effect on the brain??? I am not sure but i like to think things through....

I dont know what the pH reading of the CSF is but to be stable it must be in harmony with the cerebral system. But i guess you are asking like in the case of Stomach acid -normally happily contained in the stomach - but you get an ulcer and get it eating away at your stomach lining when stress makes you produce too much - therefore in IIH is over production and high pressure making it eat away at the eye balls?? I would probably expect the answer to be no. because hydrochloric acids (stomach acids) are some of the strongest in the body, my feeling is that CFS is not comparable??? - physics does says increasing in pressure increases rate of reactions but if the reaction was negligible to begin with then the increase with pressure (and time) could be negligible.
This all rests on my supposition that CSF isnt that acidic - which is just a guestimate. (but CSF normally surrounds the sensitive optic nerve though out your life with no damage at a normal pressure of 15 - 20 H2O, IIH is diagnosed at +25 H2O and it is the pressure that is sited as causing damage to the eye rather then rupture in the optic nerve which could be the result of any wear due to acid erosion - so i assume that acidity is not an issue.)

However I personally think that the effects of pressure on the brain over time could have far reaching implications. however there has been little research into this and no clinical studies in IIH that i am aware of.  One area that i have found interesting to look at has been Hydrocephalus. This is a case of over production of so much CSF that is causes enlarged ventricles and cranium. http://www.sbhi.ie/information/hydrocephalus/
If you look at this please be aware that it is a different condition to IIH and the pressure is MUCH MUCH higher however there has been more research done into the effects of pressure on the brain and its interesting to compare effects as long as you dial them way back....
http://www.sbhi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/The-Effects-of-Hydrocephalus.pdf

Dont know if any of that helps but i like to do lots of research.

Keren

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline Sandra D

• Cerebral Cortex
Re: effects
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:05:44 AM »
Hi

Increased pressure on the brain affects cognitive process and research is just starting to look at this more and we will be very interested to read the results. As a secondary study to a main IIH clinical trial in Birmingham, an hours worth of different cognitive tests will be undertaken by patients on the trial and in addition, one of the tests will be repeated after an LP to see if there is a difference in results with reduced pressure. I should imagine if results are better after an LP, then the problem can be resolved - but it is a good question to ask about long term pressure and one I shall ask when I speak to the experts next. X
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.