Author Topic: LP Shunt and Pregnancy?  (Read 2347 times)

Offline x~jade~x

• Neuron
LP Shunt and Pregnancy?
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
Im not pregnant and im not planing on it in the near future but i was just wondering, with having a LP shunt does it make pregnancies higher risk?  :dunno does the tubing expand as your stomach does or is it stitched in place? also with the extra strain on your back can it kink the tubing??  :confuzzled

This is the kind of thing that pops into my brain at 1:25am lol  :idea replies are all appreciated  :thanks

Offline andreamay

• Global Moderator
  • Plexus
Re: LP Shunt and Pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
Hi there, I do have a lumbopleural shunt but my knowledge doesn't expand into the pregnancy area, obviously planning pregnancy is important for everyone but for us special people it's really important to gain the right information from our professionals. I would recommend that you phone your neurologists secretary to make an appointment to discuss your case. Whilst there are very many similarities between fellow sufferers, each case is very specific to the individual. Good luck and keep us informed, we care x
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline Karen12

• Hypothalamus
Re: LP Shunt and Pregnancy?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Hi,

I have an LP shunt and I am pleased to report that it survived both pregnancy and natural childbirth with no problems.  My pregnancy was classed as higher risk and I was under the care of a consultant at the maternity hospital in addition to my local midwife etc.  But all went well.

Karen