Author Topic: Diamox shortage UK  (Read 64679 times)

Offline x Shelly x

• Trustee Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cerebral Cortex
Diamox shortage UK
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
It has been brought to our attention that many people are having problems getting their prescriptions for Diamox® (Acetazolomide) refilled. After making inquiries we have been told that two major wholesalers are reporting via the manufacturer that Diamox® are unavailable and will be back in stock on the 7/10/13. In reality it is always a week or two after this date that supplies begin to filter through. 

We have been told 'The tablets are manufactured in batches and when the batch runs out there is no spare capacity to make more until the next scheduled production run which is why they are often unavailable for some time. Diamox/acetazolamide is a very small market and they are not produced in the same quantities as more popular drugs'

We advise patients to calmly contact their individual pharmacies to ensure that they can secure stock until the next release date of 7th October. If it is found that prescriptions cannot be refilled please contact your prescribing doctor to let them know of it's unavailability and to seek an alternative medication.  Diamox SR® (slow release version) is still available.
Today is the tomorrow you were thinking about yesterday... 

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline Hymerkar

• Plexus
Re: Diamox shortage UK
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »
I wanted to print this information for my gp and pharmacist but the message is blank. Please can anyone tell me where I can find it?

Offline Sandra D

• Cerebral Cortex
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »
 When we changed over to a different host the forum was copied and we have had a couple of posts disappear. I will notify the forum hosts to find the post and add it back in.  :thanks
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:00:30 AM by Butterfly »
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your doctor before taking advice found on the internet.

Offline FAT Promotions Admin

• Administrator
  • Neuron
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »
I have updated the content from the backup and it is now available to view, apologies for your inconvenience and my delayed reply.

Ben

Offline Sandra D

• Cerebral Cortex
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
 :thanks Ben

Offline Stormy

• Nuclei
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
It seems this is happening again. I had to be moved from the tablet form to the SR/MR capsules as I wasnt tollerating the tablets. I went to get this months repeat from Boots and they handed me 8 and an IOU, they have been ringing everywhere and so far have only found 1 box at a loyds pharmacy in the area, seems it might be a supply issue with the drug company. Im in Scotland.

Quite worrying tbh as I cant take the tablet form as they make me quite ill, are grosse and due to their shape I couldnt swallow them and gagged, so was glad the capsules worked as I can take capsules no problems due to having a coating so you cant taste the yuk and the oval shaped meds suit me better for getting them down.

Offline Teresa

• Neuron
  • IIH pic of me an my hybby
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:52:39 PM »
Hi sending a update about Diamox sr my husband has contacted alpha mercury they was due to be released on
January 21st 2015. Today my Husband contacted the distribution center in our area of South Wales an with no luck he phoned Alpha Mercury again to be told Diamox SR 250mg capsule will not be available now until mid April 2015 :nooo.. I find this disgusting as the real reason was not just to the leaflet change that they are no longer on the shelves but due to them sending them abroad for ihumantrian reasons but left the UK patients without this was stated in the pharmacutical journal before Christmas
There is however another company Goldsheild that make them but due to government cuts the pharmacys are not allowed to issue these without permission as my husband tried to get this brand but the pharmacy will not pay for the brand and yet uptil 2years ago I was on this brand. I thought I'd let you all know an keep you informed

Offline x Shelly x

• Trustee Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cerebral Cortex
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »
Eytazox is another alternative but these are now also in short supply. x
Today is the tomorrow you were thinking about yesterday...